Not all bikes are created equal and the Nukeproof Mega 290 Comp Alloy Bike (SX Eagle) 2020 is one of those bikes that is a lot more equal than the others. The Nuke proof Mega not only looks like it means business, it does actually mean business.
Not a toy
This is a machine that is aimed at someone who is pretty serious about mountain bikes and as such it comes with a price tag of £2599.99 which, is fair for the level of technology and components that you get in this advanced package.
This 29er Nukeproof Mega Comp has a lightweight and ultra-reliable hydro formed alloy frame at its core and is equipped with superb components to take you from trail to trail with confidence, reliability and style. Riding high in its travel, this 29”-roller features 170mm of RockShox Yari fork travel and 160mm at the rear from a Super Deluxe shock.
This suspension setup, combined with its large wheels creates an onslaught of an off-road riding experience takes everything in its stride. Plus, it’s equipped with a SRAM SX 12-Speed transmission and Guide T hydraulic disc brakes to easily soar to the peaks and confidently tame the mountain on the way back down.
Sun Ringle Duroc Wheels and Michelin Wild Enduro Tyres
This full suspension mountain bike takes you up the steepest climbs with ease and descends the most daring descents with confidence. Nukeproof has equipped it with 29” Sun Ringle Duroc wheels wrapped in Michelin Wild Enduro tyres, for immense speed, stability and grip. This wheel/tyre combo gives this enduro bike the ability take your riding experience to new levels of excitement, adrenaline and confidence.
Superb Nukeproof Finishing Kit and Brand-X Dropper Seatpost
This 170mm travel enduro bike is equipped with an excellent finishing kit to complete its superb value for money bike build. It features Nukeproof Neutron handlebars, Sam Hill Signature grips and a 45mm-reach Nukeproof Neutron AM stem for outstanding comfort and control to get you riding with greater confidence and style.
Plus, it includes a Horizon SL saddle and a Brand-X Ascend dropper seatpost and convenient adjustable comfort when climbing or descending. There are no bikes in this price range that can offer the same high-quality and performance as the Nukeproof Mega Alloy Comp.
There are many features that this bike has that, other bikes would love to have and it is all tied together under the Nukeproof badge which is known for quality and reliability.
There are some stand out features on this machine like.
This is a truly great fork which will take everything you can throw at it. If, you were to buy the fork on its own you would be looking at around £500 – £600 pounds. Which, would still be worth the investment.
The Bike comes with RockShox Super Deluxe Select R, Custom ML tune, 230×62.5mm. Again if you bought the shock separately then you would be looking at around £200 – £300 depending on the model and specifications.
The Mega Comp comes with the hugely successful SX Eagle 12 x 1 Drive train throughout the setup from crank to cassette. This is the budget version of the Eagle setup but it is tried and tested on many successful brands.
The Modern Enduro bike would not be complete without the addition of this must have component. Nukeproof have installed the Brand X Ascend internal dropper. This dropper has proven to be a very reliable piece of kit, often out performing much more expensive posts.
Being a true Nukeproof bike, The Mega Comp also benefits from a Nukeproof finishing package. The Handlebars, Stem and Saddle are all straight from Nukeproof.
Nukeproof have gone with the SRAM Guide T brakes on this particular bike. They have also added a larger rotor with the front being 200mm and the rear being 180mm. The guide T is a 4 piston brake system with excellent stopping and modulation. If, you need to stop then these brakes will stop you in an emergency.
Here is a full Spec list for you to form your own opinion.
- Frame: Nukeproof Mega 290 Alloy, 160mm Travel, custom triple butted hydro-formed tube set, internal dropper seatpost cable routing, Enduro Bearings, Threaded 73mm BB, Boost 148mm rear axle spacing, 3D contoured frame protection
- Fork: RockShox Yari, Motion Control RC damper, 170mm, 42mm Offset, BOOST, Debonair, Diffusion Black
- Shock: RockShox Super Deluxe Select R, Custom ML tune, 230×62.5mm, Bearing End (We recommend most riders use 0/1 bottomless tokens but the shock comes with 2 tokens fitted, so you have an extra if needed.)
- Front Wheel: Sun-Ringle Duroc SD37 Comp 29″, 15x110mm
- Rear Wheel: Sun-Ringle Duroc SD37 Comp 29″, Shimano Driver, 148x12mm
- Tyres: Front: Michelin Wild Enduro 29″ x 2.4, MAGI-X TS TLR, Rear: Michelin Wild Enduro 29” x 2.4, GUM-X TS TLR
- Crankset: SRAM SX Eagle 12-Speed, 170mm, 30T, B148, Powerspline
- Shifter: SRAM SX Eagle 12-Speed
- Rear Derailleur: SRAM SX Eagle 12-Speed
- Chain: SRAM SX Eagle 12-Speed
- Cassette: SRAM SX Eagle 12-Speed, CS PG1230 EAGLE 11-50T
- Chain Guide: MRP 1x CS, 28-34T, ISCG-05
- Brakes: SRAM Guide T
- Front Rotor: SRAM Centreline, 200mm
- Rear Rotor: SRAM Centreline, 180mm
- Handlebars: Nukeproof Neutron 25mm Rise, Width – S780mm, M780mm, L800mm, XL800mm)
- Stem: Nukeproof Neutron AM, 45mm, Black
- Saddle: Nukeproof Horizon SL, Grey
- Seatpost: Brand X Ascend internal, 31.6mm, S:125mm drop; M/L:150mm drop; XL: 170mm Drop
- Headset: Nukeproof, 44-56 IITS
This is a special bike and it will take the punishment that you throw at it well within its stride. Nukeproof have a great reputation as a quality builder and this machine ticks all the boxes for enjoyment and reliability. Nip over to chainreactions while they still have stock.
This Post may contain Affiliate LinksDISCLOSURE